Where can I find training for childcare and special needs
Even families with very similar lifestyles have some differences in their views to child-rearing. This is important to keep in mind when setting expectations and guidelines for domestic helpers who are responsible for childcare. By providing a clear understanding of their values and ideas on childcare, employers can help their domestic helper be successful in their role.
In addition to this, a foundational knowledge on child development and skills to approach childcare are necessary for a child caretaker.
The questions we can ask ourselves while taking care of a child are:
What developmental stage is the child in? What are their needs regarding their age?
Understanding what is age-appropriate behaviour helps manage what should be expected of a child and how they can best be supported.
How can we communicate with the child according to their age?
Communicating with children takes a bit of creativity and skill. It may require taking on different ways to make information child-friendly and appropriate. Nowadays, there are many different tools that can help caretakers on this.
Are the child’s safety and health a priority in my behaviour and our routines?
Children are constantly learning and especially from their environment and those closest to them. Because of this, it is important for caretakers and parents to be aware of themselves and how their behaviours or responses may be affecting the child.
This guest article was written by Your Turn, who provide caretaker training. Their details are below.
Find more support on childcare skills with Your Turn’s 3-session training:
- Session1: Understanding age-appropriate behaviour
- Session 2: Communication tools including problem-solving and positive guidance
- Session 3: Daily activities and support on all areas of development: homework, daily activities, health and hygiene.
Having the right information and support is especially important for the care of a child with special needs. At Your Turn we offer a 3-session Special Need Training including the following topics:
- Session1: Understanding the basic behaviour and needs of the specified disabilities
- Session 2: Communication tools
- Session 3: Self-esteem and self-reflection
Visit Your Turn’s website for more information:
or contact them directly at:
You may also like:
- Are there any cooking classes for domestic helpers?
- Do you recommend any training centers in the Philippines?
- How should I structure a domestic helper interview?
- Tips for a Healthy Employer-Employee Relationship
Last updated on August 21st, 2019