Do domestic helpers need to go into quarantine when they return to the Philippines?
Currently, Hong Kong is listed as a “Green” country on the latest Philippines’ classification. Domestic helpers, as citizens, are allowed to return to the Philippines. The quarantine periods and other arrangements will be based on the passenger’s vaccination status. For details, please refer to the Philippines government announcement HERE. Read more below.
What to expect
Before you fly
- Secure confirmed flight to the Philippines.
- Check you have a valid passport.
- Check you have your vaccination record. If you received your vaccination in Hong Kong, you can present your vaccination record card that you received upon vaccination. See announcement from the Philippine Overseas Labor Office.
- As early as 3 days prior to your departure, both land-based and sea-based OFWs must register and accomplish the Electronic Case Investigation Form and save the confirmation e-mail and QR code at www.balikpinas.ph.
- For land-based OFWs, create/update your account on the OFW Assistance Information System (OASIS) at http://oasis.owwa.gov.ph/
- Upon check-in, sign the Declaration and Waiver Form presented by our check-in agent, indicating that you are healthy and fit to travel.
- Book an appointment to get your COVID-19 RT-PCR Test 48 hours before departure.
- Register online via the official One Health Pass website https://onehealthpass.com.ph/ 72 hours before departure. Save the QR code from One Health Pass Registration.
During the flight
- Accomplish the Health Declaration Form, Bureau of Customs Form, and Arrival Card.
When you arrive
5. Upon arrival, listen to the briefing conducted by the Philippine Coast Guard.
6. Undergo a temperature check, submit the Health Declaration Form upon deplaning, and proceed to the designated waiting area. Fill out the Project Care Slip.
7. Clear with immigration and submit the Arrival Card.
8. For land-based OFWs and your dependents, proceed to the Overseas Workers Welfare Administration (OWWA) Desk. Present the same QR code from the e-CIF and submit the OWWA Project Care Slip.
9. Claim your baggage
10. Exit the terminal and wait for your shuttle/bus that will take you to your assigned hotel.
Passengers from Hong Kong to the Philippines will have to go through the following rules:
For fully vaccinated passengers:
- Present a negative RT-PCR test taken within 48 hours prior to departure OR a negative Rapid Antigen Test taken within 24 hours prior to departure ;
- No quarantine and self-monitor for any sign or symptom for 7 days with the first day being the date of arrival. They will no longer be required to observe mandatory facility-based quarantine.
- Fully vaccinated travelers in “green” countries must carry their official documentation of full vaccination validated through the POLO or present their ICVs, whichever is applicable. See: ABS- CBN News (15 October 2021)
For all other passengers (for unvaccinated, partially vaccinated or whose vaccination status cannot be independently validated):
- A negative RT-PCR test conducted within 48 hours prior to departure from the country of origin;
- Undergo facility-based quarantine until release of negative results with an RT-PCR test taken on the 5th day; and
- After quarantine, they need to self-monitor for any symptoms for 14 days from first date of arrival, regardless of a negative test result.
The accommodation and food during your stay will be shouldered by the Philippine government. Any additional hotel fees due to required extensions will be shouldered by their governing agency.
The information above was taken from the Philippine Airlines. Please check it for the most updated information: HERE
Take note that regulations will vary from region to region as set by Local Government Units, check their requirements: HERE
Overseas Workers Welfare Administration (OWWA)
Quarantine of returning OFWs are handled by the Overseas Workers Welfare Administration (OWWA). See their official Facebook page for Quarantine operations: HERE
- Website: http://www.owwa.gov.ph/
- Facebook: OWWA Hong Kong
- Or call OWWA:
- OWWA Philippines
- OWWA Hong Kong
- Address: 2902, 29/F, United Centre, 95 Queensway, Admiralty
- Tel: 3483 0600
- Emergency Hotline: 6345 9324
You may also like:
- COVID-19 updates affecting domestic helpers & employers
- What does domestic helper hiring look like now with the impact of COVID-19?
- Deferring home leave
If you found this article helpful, please consider donating today.
Fair Employment Agency is a nonprofit agency. We put a lot of work into producing high quality, accurate and updated information resources because when employers and domestic helpers are informed, they are empowered to make good choices.
If you found this article helpful, please consider donating to support us through Fair Employment Foundation, a registered section 88 charity in Hong Kong, which builds social businesses (like us!) to make migrant recruitment fair to workers & fair to employers.
Click HERE for all donation methods.
Last updated on April 12th, 2022