Do domestic helpers need to go into quarantine when they return to the Philippines?
Employers and domestic helpers are recommended to limit travel to the Philippines until transportation options are provided, unless absolutely necessary We encourage you to consider:
- Ask for an extension of stay with Immigration
- Domestic helpers can apply for a visa extension by going to the Immigration Department. Read how to do this: HERE
- You may want to consider deferring home leave. To do this: To change the date for the home leave arrangement, write a letter to the Foreign Domestic Helper Section, HERE. Read FAQs on Home Leave, HERE.
- Travel to Philippines (flights affected)
- Flights have been affected by new regulations and it is expected that they will continue to be impacted in the near future. Please check directly with the airlines for information.
- Arriving in the Philippines: Travel and quarantine
- Processing paperwork
Arrival: Testing and Quarantine in the Philippines
- All returning OFWs are required to register on the new OASIS platform, which is handled by Overseas Workers Welfare Adminstration: HERE
- All arrivals will need to make a health declaration. You can fill this up ahead of time. Download the form: here
- All returning Overseas Filipino Workers (OFWs) are required to go through testing and quarantine at a government-designated facility.
- Workers will need to comply with quarantine requirements by the health officials.
- If test result is positive, passengers will be picked up by the Bureau of Quarantine (BOQ) who shall assume jurisdiction in monitoring them.
Quarantine of returning OFWs are handled by the Overseas Workers Welfare Administration (OWWA). See their official Facebook page for Quarantine operations: HERE
- Website: http://www.owwa.gov.ph/
- Facebook: OWWA Hong Kong
- Or call OWWA:
- OWWA Philippines
- OWWA Hong Kong
- Address: A16/F YF Life Tower, 33 Lockhart Road Wanchai
- Tel: 3483 0600
- Emergency Hotline: 6345 9324
- Latest advisory on quarantine requirement as posted by the Philippine Coast Guard: HERE
- See the official advisory requiring compliance from the Civil Aeronautics Board: HERE.
- This news article shows that lines and wait times can be very long at the airport for testing and transport to quarantine facilities: HERE
- There are media reports highlighting the delays in releasing people from quarantine due to lack of transportation: HERE (CNN Philippines).
The Situation in the Philippines
- Read more about COVID-19 measures and transportation restrictions in the Philippines: HERE.
OWWA Financial Assistance
- The Philippine Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE) recently announced that local and overseas workers whose employment has been affected by COVID-19 will be provided government assistance. Read more HERE
Deferring Home Leave
- Read more about how to do this: HERE
You may also like:
- Special notes on termination while coronavirus restrictions are in place
- OWWA Financial assistance to Filipino domestic helpers affected by COVID-19
- Are employers required to pay a domestic helper’s salary while they are unable to return to work?
- How is the coronavirus affecting domestic helpers?
If you found this article helpful, please consider donating today.
Fair Employment Agency is a nonprofit agency. We put a lot of work into producing high quality, accurate and updated information resources because when employers and domestic helpers are informed, they are empowered to make good choices. If you found this article helpful, please consider donating through Fair Employment Foundation (tax-deductable for amounts over HK$100). Click HERE for donation instructions.
Last updated on July 21st, 2020