Get Answers  →   employer   worker  

Do you recommend any training centers in the Philippines?


Attending a training centre is important for one reason; if you are hiring a first-time domestic helper from the Philippines, the government requires them to pass an exam prior to migration (Domestic Work NCII). Training for this exam varies greatly in cost and quality. 

If a worker has worked in Hong Kong previously and their ‘Domestic Work NCII’ certificate is valid, they do not need to go through training again. You can check the validity on the certificate.

The centre we recommend is Fair Training Center. Fair Training Center is a non-profit, social business based in Manila. Fair Training Center and Fair Employment Agency are independent of each other but share the same mission of ending exploitation in the migrant worker recruitment system. 

Fair Training Center was set-up in 2016 because of the very poor quality of training across the Philippines. Workers are paying huge sums of money (ranging from HK$1,200 – 15,000) for training that does not prepare them as professional workers.

Migration is a big step for workers, and they need to be prepared with the skills and tools to help them be successful while working abroad.

Fair Training Center is currently running training free of charge as they are currently receiving grant funding. The training also includes room and board. The only thing not included is the mandatory examination fee to the Philippines government (an additional HK$300). Workers are liable to pay for training themselves but some employers choose to cover this.


Fair Training Center’s curriculum is accredited with the Philippines government (with the Technical Education and Skills Development Authority – TESDA) and these are some of the items it covers:

  • Practical workshops in housekeeping, cooking, laundry and childcare;
  • Hong Kong specific content (such as shopping in markets and taking public transport).
  • How to deal with difficult situations
  • Rights education
  • Maintain good relationships with employers
  • Parenting from abroad
  • Financial literacy
  • Dealing with homesickness
  • Adapting to a new city

Visit their website for more information, or contact them directly via their Facebook page.


You might also like:

Last updated on July 3rd, 2020