Get Answers  →   COVID-19   employer   worker  

How can domestic helpers extend their contracts with the same employer for 1-3 months?

Extension of stay in Hong Kong

If the domestic helper and employer wish to lengthen the two-year contract by a short period, the Helper should apply to the Director of Immigration for an extension of stay in Hong Kong.

The Government announced on September 21, 2022 (link) that they will continue to implement the previous measure to enable employers to extend the existing contracts with their outgoing helpers. For all contracts that expire on or before December 31, 2022, the Commissioner for Labour has given in-principle consent for extending the employment period for a maximum period of six months, on the basis that such variation is agreed upon by both the employer and the domestic worker. However, the government announced the flexibility arrangements to assist foreign domestic helpers and their employers under the epidemic of Covid – including extending their contracts and deferring returning their origin places – will be discontinued by May next year.

However, applications for further extension of those contracts which have already been extended under the previous flexibility arrangement, including that announced on December 28, 2021, will not be considered.

If arrangements cannot be made for a newly hired domestic worker to come to Hong Kong within the above-mentioned six-month extended period and the employer needs to continue to employ his/her worker beyond the six-month extended period, the employer should consider applying for contract renewal with the existing worker.

The following documents are required:

  1. Completed and signed Extension of Stay Application Form for Domestic Helper from Abroad (ID 988A)
  2. Original copies of the current standard Employment Contract (ID407) kept by the employer and Helper with an amendment clause on such extension duly signed by both parties at the end of page 4. Sample:
  1. A supporting letter signed by the employer stating the reason(s) for such extension.
  2. Original of the Helper’s travel document (please send a copy if applying by post).
  3. Employer’s undertaking HERE
  4. HK$230 visa fee.

Who’s responsible for the visa fee? 

Since a new visa is needed since both employers and workers mutually agree to defer the home leave/extend the contract by a short period, we would recommend paying or sharing the visa fee with your worker as a gesture of good will. 

Immigration has launched an electronic visa application service and an “e-Visa” arrangement on December 28, 2021. This new service allows applicants to complete the entire process of visa application, including application submission, payment and “e-Visa” collection, online without having to attend an Immigration office in person. Upon approval of their applications, the applicants may pay the visa fee through various means and download the “e-Visa” on their personal mobile devices or print the “e-Visa”.

Fair Agency offers visa extension service at $900. Please feel free to contact us for details.

You may also like:

Ready to get hiring? View Services

If you found this article helpful, please consider donating today.

Fair Employment Agency is a nonprofit agency. We put a lot of work into producing high quality, accurate and updated information resources because when employers and domestic helpers are informed, they are empowered to make good choices.

If you found this article helpful, please consider donating to support us through Fair Employment Foundation, a registered section 88 charity in Hong Kong, which builds social businesses (like us!) to make migrant recruitment fair to workers & fair to employers.

  • Click HERE for all donation methods.

Last updated on December 20th, 2022