How can domestic helpers extend their contracts with the same employer for 1-3 months?
If the domestic helper and employer wish to lengthen the two-year contract by a short period, such as 1-3 months, the domestic helper should apply to the Director of Immigration for an extension of stay in Hong Kong. Such extension of stay will only be granted where there are exceptional circumstances. The extension will not normally be granted in respect of the renewal of contracts. The Director of Immigration has sole discretion to determine whether an extension of stay will be granted. (See update from 2021.03.09 from the HK Labour Department)
An extension of more than one month will not normally be granted but the Government announced on 29 Mar 2021 that they will continue to implement the previous measure to enable employers to extend the existing contracts with their outgoing helpers. For all contracts that will expire on or before June 30, 2021, the Commissioner for Labour has given in-principle consent for extending the employment period for a maximum period of three months.
Applications for extension of stay of helpers may be submitted during office hours or by post to the Foreign Domestic Helpers Section at Immigration Tower in Wan Chai.
The following documents are required:
- Visa/Extension of Stay Application Form for Domestic Helper from Abroad (ID988A) completed and signed by the domestic helper
- Original copies of the current standard Employment Contract (ID407) kept by the employer and domestic helper with an amendment clause on such extension duly signed by both parties at the end of page 4.
- A supporting letter signed by the employer stating the reason(s) for such extension and undertaking that upon such extension no renewal of contract with the same Helper will be required; and
- The domestic helper’s travel document (please send a copy if applying by post)
- Undertaking of Employer (New requirement for FDH visa application during the epidemic situation)
You may also like:
- Coronavirus updates affecting domestic helpers
- Quick guide for Employers of Domestic Helpers
- Signup for the Fair Bulletin: Monthly newsletter from Fair Agency
- Follow us on: Facebook and Instagram
Ready to get hiring? View Services
If you found this article helpful, please consider donating today.
Fair Employment Agency is a nonprofit agency. We put a lot of work into producing high quality, accurate and updated information resources because when employers and domestic helpers are informed, they are empowered to make good choices.
If you found this article helpful, please consider donating to support us through Fair Employment Foundation, a registered section 88 charity in Hong Kong, which builds social businesses (like us!) to make migrant recruitment fair to workers & fair to employers.
Click HERE for all donation methods.
Last updated on June 8th, 2021