Get Answers  →   employer   worker  

How can domestic helpers extend their stay in Hong Kong during times of COVID-19?

If the domestic helper is currently employed with an employer

The Hong Kong government has announced, “flexibility to enable employers to extend the validity period of the contracts with their outgoing domestic helpers.” This means domestic helpers who have contracts ending on or before September 30, 2020, can have their contracts extended up till October 31, 2020, provided that such variation is mutually agreed by both the employer and the domestic helper.  The official release HERE. How to do this:

Applications for extension of stay of FDHs may be submitted during office hours or by post to the Foreign Domestic Helpers Section at Immigration Tower in Wan Chai. The required documents for submitting the applications are as follows:

  • Visa/Extension of Stay Application Form for Domestic Helper from Abroad (ID 988A) completed and signed by the FDH;
  • the current SEC (ID 407) kept by the employer and the FDH with an amendment clause on extending the period of employment duly signed by both parties at the end of page 4;
  • a supporting letter signed by the employer stating the reason(s) for extending the period of employment;
  • the FDH’s travel document (please send a copy if applying by post); and
  • Visa fee of $230.

If the domestic helper’s contract has been terminated

The Hong Kong government has announced flexibility for domestic helpers with terminated contracts to extend their stay. Official announcement: here. Domestic helpers with terminated contracts may apply to the Immigration Department for an extension of stay as a visitor. The Immigration Department may grant an extension of 14-30 days.

How to do this:

  • Go to Immigration with the written confirmation about your flight cancellation and ask for a tourist visa.
  • Bring your passport and flight information to the Immigration Tower, 3/F, Counter 2. 
  • The duration of stay granted by the Tourist Visa will be at the discretion of the officer, 
  • Visa fee: HK$230

Once you have secured your tourist visa, check with your agency about boarding house space. If you are unable to find boarding with your agency, here are some shelters and boarding house options: LINK.

If you are not able to find boarding, or need any further assistance, you may consider going to the Overseas Workers Welfare Administration (OWWA) office. 

  • Overseas Workers Welfare Administration (OWWA)
  • Address: A16/F, YF Life Tower, 33 Lockhart Road Wanchai
  • Tel: 3483 0600
  • Emergency Hotline: 6345 9324
  • Website:
  • Facebook: OWWA Hong Kong

You may also like:

If you found this article helpful, please consider donating today.

Fair Employment Agency is a nonprofit agency. We put a lot of work into producing high quality, accurate and updated information resources because when employers and domestic helpers are informed, they are empowered to make good choices. If you found this article helpful, please consider donating through Fair Employment Foundation (tax-deductable for amounts over HK$100). Click HERE for donation instructions.

Last updated on July 21st, 2020