Where can I find elder care training for domestic helpers?
We do our best to keep our articles up-to-date. Please double-check with the relevant organisations directly for the latest.
Elder Care Classes for Domestic Helpers
HK Social Welfare Department Elder Care Training
The Hong Kong Social Welfare Department has introduced an elder care training course for domestic helpers. The teachers of this Pilot Scheme include nurses, dieticians, physiotherapists and occupational therapists.
The training will be conducted in Cantonese or English. If necessary, interpretation service in Tagalog, Bahasa Indonesian, and Thai could be arranged in classes. The training materials will also be available in Chinese, English, Tagalog, Bahasa Indonesian and Thai.
The fees charged per domestic helper is HKD 200.
The training class consists of 8 core and 4 elective modules. Upon completion of training on core modules, interested domestic helpers can also enrol in the elective modules.
Core Modules (Total 12 hours):
- Assisting elderly persons with feeding and taking medicines
- Fall prevention
- First Aid
- Food hygiene and healthy meal arrangement for elderly person
- Mental health in elderly person and detection of warning signs
- Bathing and oral care for elderly persons
- Vital signs observation and skills in measuring blood pressure, body temperature and blood sugar
- Assisting elderly persons with mild mobility impairment in transferring positions
Elective Modules (Total 4 hours):
- Meal arrangement with elderly persons with dementia
- Communicating with elderly persons with dementia
- Managing behavioural and psychological problems in elderly persons with dementia
- Caring for elderly persons with stroke
More information for the modules can be found HERE
Other local organizations providing training Elderly care
- Active Global https://www.activeglobalcaregiver.hk/about/csr
- KL Home Care Ltd :4th generation training part III (lang: english and indonesian) (includes child care and elderly care)
- 20 hours in total $6200: https://www.hlc.com.hk/en/helper-training.html
Video Resources on elder care
Social Welfare Department (Chinese with English, Tagalog, Bahasa and Thai subtitles)
Communication tips (English)
Handling of medication/emergency (English)
Health and safe tips (English)
Fair Employment Agency is a non-profit employment agency placing Filipino domestic helpers in Hong Kong. Read Our Story or find information on our services at View Pricing. With thousands of placements under our belt and 90% of employers and domestic helpers recommending us to friends, you’re in good hands!
Please reach out to learn more:
- email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- phone: +852 3568 6858, +852 3611 2997
You may also like
- Quick guide for Employers of Domestic Helpers
- Are there any cooking classes for domestic helpers?
- Which organisations provide courses for domestic helpers?
- Signup for the Fair Bulletin: Monthly newsletter from Fair Agency
Ready to get hiring? View Services
If you found this article helpful, please consider donating today.
Fair Employment Agency is a nonprofit agency. We put a lot of work into producing high quality, accurate and updated information resources because when employers and domestic helpers are informed, they are empowered to make good choices.
If you found this article helpful, please consider donating to support us through Fair Employment Foundation, a registered section 88 charity in Hong Kong, which builds social businesses (like us!) to make migrant recruitment fair to workers & fair to employers.